A Health Plan made by and for San Franciscans
San Francisco Health Plan (SFHP) is a licensed community health plan that provides affordable health care coverage to over 70,000 low and moderate-income families. Members have access to a full spectrum of medical services including preventive care, specialty care, hospitalization, prescription drugs, and family planning services. SFHP was designed by and for the residents it serves, and takes great pride in its ability to accommodate a diverse population that includes young adults, seniors, and people with disabilities.
We were created by the City and County of San Francisco with one purpose: to provide high quality medical care to the largest number of low-income San Francisco residents possible, while supporting San Francisco's public and community-minded doctors, clinics, and hospitals.
Our members choose from over 2,300 primary care providers and specialists, six hospitals, and 200 pharmacies - all in neighborhoods close to where they live or work.
We are proud of what we do. And so are our members.
- Two of every three San Francisco Medi-Cal managed care enrollees choose San Francisco Health Plan.
- More San Francisco Families choose San Francisco Health Plan as their Healthy Families Program plan. In fact, more families choose us than the other four health plan combined.
- Our Healthy Kids program consistently scores over 95% on health care satisfaction, great customer services, and ease of enrollment.
By providing superior, affordable health care that emphasizes prevention and promotes healthy living, we strive to improve the quality of life for the people of San Francisco and to support the providers who serve them.
San Francisco Health Plan's Guiding Principles
- Educate, inspire and assist our Members to lead healthy lifestyles.
- Maintain strong, collaborative relationships between our members, community-based organizations and health care providers throughout the City.
- Recognize the cultural and linguistic diversity of San Franciscans
- Lead with innovation, continually creating new ways to make health care more accessible and affordable.
- Create a team-oriented environment based on respect that supports personal and professional integrity and encourages employee growth.
Our Core Values
We help to ensure the good health of our members by:
- Treating every member with respect and compassion, in a culturally sensitive manner, regardless of circumstance
- Holding ourselves and our providers to high standards of member service and quality care
- Continually striving to exceed our members' expectations
We help to serve and inspire our providers by:
- Supporting the financial stability of our providers who serve low and middle-income San Franciscans by paying them as much as possible
- Advocating with regulators to keep unnecessary and cumbersome regulations to a minimum, so that our providers can focus on providing health care
- Continually striving to exceed our providers' expectations by giving them information, resources, and recognition to help them take care of our members more effectively and efficiently
We are committed to maintaining an open and positive place to work by:
- Treating each other with respect
- Providing recognition for good work
- Holding ourselves to high performance standards